Rajinikanth looks like me, I don’t look like him: Rob Schneider

Rajinikanth looks like me, I don’t look like him: Rob Schneider 


Hollywood actor Rob Schneider arrived in India with no local material for his stand-up tour that concluded in Mumbai. But the inspiring country that India is took care of that. “I got 15 minutes on just the roads. Here, the horns are obviously hard wired to the engine. There’s no other reason for so much honking,"says Schneider, going on about his local set.

“People also keep mistaking me for Rajnikanth. I’m not Rajnikanth people, get over it! He looks like me, I don’t look like him. Plus, it got cold here the other day, because Rajinikanth opened his refrigerator.” The stand-up comic did his homework. And some of those infamous jokes even made it to the Black Dog Comedy Evenings gig held in the city on Sunday.

nterestingly, the only Bollywood film, Schneider has watched is Dhoom 2 (2006). Yet, ask him about the industry and he immediately tries to pronounce Aishwarya Rai Bachchan’s name, “The woman from that film? She just had a baby. She’s beautiful; I see why people in America want to work with her.”

Though Schneider is known for doing several cameos in Adam Sandler films, he’s now decided to cut down on those. “I love Adam, he’s my brother. But we stopped doing that. There’s a fine line between the audience being excited to see you and them going ‘oh no, there’s him again’,” he says. 

Having noticed the burgeoning comedy scene in India, Schneider was thrilled to have city comic Sorabh Pant open for him. “We’re talking about doing a tour. Let’s see,” he says.

Stressing on how new entrants in stand-up need to “just find a stage and get on it a few hundred times,” Schneider recalls, “I’d be embarrassed to sneak into the theatre when my movie released, to see what people are laughing at. Then I spoke to Quentin Tarantino, and he told me ‘are you kidding? I go in at noon and I stay for every show till night.’ I’m not that much of a w***e, but you do need to see whether people laugh at stuff you laugh at.”

Share this article :

Post a Comment